Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baby's First Hanukkah!




Well by Baby, I mean me! This was my first year celebrating Hanukkah! I wanted to make Josh's Holiday celebration as festive as I could and there was no lack of festiveness!
I started with some research into the holiday. Hanukkah celebrates the miracle of the oil lasting for eight nights instead of the one night supply they had so that they could restore the temple that had been destroyed. Hanukkah begins on the first day of the twelfth month in the Hebrew calendar. Since that calendar is different then the solar calendar we use, it varies every year. this year it began on the first of December and lasted eight nights. (Hanukkah sure was early this year!) While it is not one of the High Holy days (such as Rosh Hashannah or Yom Kippor) it has become common to celebrate to help keep the Jewish children from feeling left out of the gift giving and receiving.
Every night we lit the menorah and exchanged our gifts. Actually, we only exchanged gifts the first two nights because by the third morning I couldn't wait any longer and we decided to open the rest.
Fried food is traditionally served as a reminder of the miracle oil, sothe first night I tried my hand at latkes. Don't need to twist my arm to make or eat some fried food. Other festive foods we enjoyed were kugel, challah, and some Hanukkah themed pasta!
Josh and I just wrapped up our Hanukkah celebration with a trip back to Virginia to visit his family. It was a whirlwind trip but we were so glad to be able to share the holiday with his family. After spending time with the Sklar family I understand why Josh is so wonderful! His family is so generous, kind and loving. He is lucky to have such a awesome family.
I'm so glad that I got to share in this tradition with Josh and look forward to our future Hannukkah's!

No comments:

Post a Comment