Monday, July 26, 2010

Croutons

Salad is a common side dish to any of my meals. I like to think they are one of my specialities. My favorite salad topper is the crouton (the monsters too) so instead of buying the nasty premade grocery store kind, I make my own. I make a few varieties. The Ciabatta crouton is probably my fave so I figured I'd blog about how to make them. They're really easy and if you are already baking it takes just a few more minutes. Have a crouton kind of day.










I like to start with a loaf of ciabatta bread, but really croutons can be made out of any bread you have lying around. I have even done it with the whole wheat bread I keep on hand for sandwiches.










Slice and dice into one inch cubes. You can also do thin slices if you want to make a crostini type crouton (these kind are good for caesar salads)

Lightly coat bread cubes with Pam or Olive Oil. I find Pam covers more consistently the OO and is less messy.
Season with whatever spices you have on hand for whatever flavor sensation you desire. I usally do red pepper and garlic powder. I have also used dill, oregano, season-all, etc.

Bake in the oven @350 degrees for about ten minutes, toss, and bake for another ten minutes. You can also broil the bread, this is however a bit sketchier and close attention must be paid or you will end up with charred croutons (they're still delicious and edible)

Throw them on top of your favorite salad! You can also save any extra in a zip lock for later use!










No comments:

Post a Comment